Why does Jira create a workflow for each project?

Sean Rock April 16, 2014

For each jira project, a new workflow is created. This is such a pita and not very user friendly imo. How can I get jira to use a specific workflow for new projects.

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2014

You could look at some of the plugins available on the marketplace (disclaimer: we're one of them - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.wittified.jira.project-creator) which allows you create customized templates for your specific purpose.

0 votes
Trevor Hunt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2014
If you have Script Runner installed, try this instead of a blue print...
  1. Create and configure a project for each type configuration you create regularly. This project should have all associated schemes fully configured. Be sure to lock down visibility to the project so people can't create issues or otherwise change this project as this will be a template project.
  2. The use Script Runner via the built-in "Copy Project" script to create your new project from the template.

I use this approach A LOT and it works wonderfully. It even allows you to copy issues, versions, and components if you want to configure your template to that level...

You can also copy a live project's configuration to a new project if you just need to knock it out quickly... just make sure when copying the project you don't copy issues as well.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2014

I have notice this when you select some of the predefined project templates. For example, if you select the "Agile Scrum" option when you create the project, a simplified workflow is created for the project.

I don't like it and so I usually create a project using jIRA classic option. After creating, you will have to change the schemes to associate the project with predefined workflows if you have any.

The other option is to create a project blue print and use it while creating project. You need to write a plugin for that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2014

On top of that, I tend to turn off the project blueprints that do this sort of thing. In most places the option for "simplified workflows" is the right option for only some types of team.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2014

In most places the option for "simplified workflows" is the right option for only some types of team.

Totally agree!

Suggest an answer