Why does JIRA want to update uninstalled language packs?

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013

The JIRA Plugin Manager frequently wants to update the French, German, Japanese, and Spanish language packs, but I don't have them installed. If I "update" them, I can then uninstall them, but eventually JIRA will again prompt me to update them.

1 answer

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2013

The said language pack are part of the bundled plugins installed in JIRA. Which means, you don't exactly remove the plugins but just remove the updated version of the plugins. You won't be able to remove these language packs via the normal ways, you would need to find them in JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/atlassian-bundled-plugins.zip

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013

If that's the case, why do they not appear as system plugins and they do appear as user-installed plugins?

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2013

Technically, when you update, you are installing a plugin, which is the reason it is listed under User-Installed plugins. When a newer version of French Language Pack is installed, the one listed under System plugin will automatically be disabled.

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

They don't appear under System plugins even before I update them. And they certainly don't show up as disabled System plugins after I update them.

Suggest an answer