Why does JIRA send mails to inactive users?

Matthias Kuespert August 24, 2014

Hi,

I tried to send a mail to all JIRA users via the admin UI and this did not work because it failed to send mails to some users. The mail address of these users is syntactically correct, however those adresses are not valid anymore because they have left the enterprise. In our Crowd instance all those users are flagged as inactive.

Shouldn't JIRA ignore inactive users when sending mails?

We are using JIRA 4.4.4 and Crowd 2.7.2.

Regards,

Matthias

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2014
This is a known missing feature in Jira or a bug, depending how you would like to call it. Regarding inactive users I've removed those users from the basic jira-users group. I've also changed the e-mail address to a place holder.
Matthias Kuespert August 25, 2014

Jose,

thanks for the info

0 votes
Simon Kegel //SEIBERT/MEDIA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2014

Hey there.

Mails which are send over the UI take roles or groups as reference for sending the mail.
Check the roles of the users who cause the error - it could be some of them are assigned to a project as single user and not assinged by groups.

Hope this can help.

Greets
Simon

Matthias Kuespert August 24, 2014

Thanks for the input, but: none of these users is assigned directly to a project. The only thing they seem to have in common is that they are deactivated (I take this info from the logs ... but since we have about 300 deactivated users I may have overseen something)

BTW, I forgot to mention: I selected the group 'jira-users' when sending the mail.

Suggest an answer