Why does JIRA create new issue schemes, screen schemes and issue type screen schemes for each project?

Jamie Edwards December 1, 2014

The best practice advice seems to be to keep issue screens (etc) simple. Why does JIRA create a new set of all of this stuff for each new project we create? It seems very duplicitous - we don't need a new bug screen, for example, for each project.

Example:

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 13.06.37.png

3 answers

4 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2014

It seems like a design misfeature to me. If using the UI, I create a project with the "classic" template, then just change the schemes I need to. I don't think it creates any new schemes with the classic template.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2015

I think this idea comes from admins saying they changed a scheme and affected other projects they didn't want to. So the direction JIRA is going is to end up with a set of 7 schemes per project. This will stop admins changing up more than one project inadvertently. But adding a field to 100 projects will now mean editing 100 screen schemes, for example. Not a great trade-off in my opinion, as an admin who will have to clean all this up!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

I am pretty certain you are right, but I think it's a poor design. Better a new admin learns that schemes can be associated with multiple projects, maybe from their mistake, than by guiding people to this multi scheme path. Merging schemes is hard once they've diverged, and large numbers of certain schemes types are often at the root of poor performance.

2 votes
Murali Krishna Devarakonda June 20, 2016

I'm not sure if this feature was added after you asked your question, but now when you choose "Create New Project", you have an option called "Create with Shared Configuration" that lets you select an existing project whose schemes will be used instead.

I just created a project called "<my projectname> Template" and just make all new projects share this configuration.

No more proliferation of schemes. And I just change the scheme in one place for all projects.

0 votes
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2014

Hi Jamie,

There was an update on JIRA and for now a Screen Scheme is created for each new project.
If you want to change the Screen Scheme of a specific project (like setting all projects to the same screen scheme), please follow the steps below:

• Login to JIRA as administrator
  • Click on Projects and select the project you want to modify the Screen Scheme
  • Once the project is opened, click on Screens
  • Click on the pencil icon to edit
  • Then you'll be able to select Default screen

I understand that these steps will take your time and will make the project creation process longer.
There's a suggestion requesting a fix for this issue. For further information please check https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-39966, you may vote and comment on it in order to increase its visibility.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

That made me laugh, telling Jamie how change a screen scheme! I think he might have done that once or twice before ;-)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

;-) Sorry, I never saw your answer Paula, otherwise I'd have at least said "thanks", but yep, I do know how to do this!

Like Caio Nóbrega likes this

Suggest an answer