Why does Atlassian take functionalities away while releasing new versions ?

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2013

Got another one, from JIRA 5.x they changed the bulk email VM which affected the email headers badly.

I use JIRA 5.1.3, when we send JIRA bulk mails the mail header keeps ‘Usernames’ instead of Full Names. I am sure, till JIRA 4.4.5 it was good that used to keep Full names.

Due to this change, little tough to trace who has send the bulk mail.

Have you got any work around to fix this ?

8 answers

0 votes
Nica Huestegge May 21, 2013

Hi there,

could this be due to a problem with Exchange 2007? See documantation here:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+to+Set+Up+SMTP+Relay+in+Exchange+2007

All the best,

Nica

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2013
Yeah at least give it at try in a testing environment. I bet it will be fine then
0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2013

Okay, but the support team also was able to reproduce the issue. Might be an issue with release 5.1.3. Better, will go for an upgrade if you say 5.2.3 is good.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2013

aaah ok i see. only test mails will look like this...

hmm i've tested in 5.2.3 just now...and it shows the full name as expected.

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2013

If so, the usual notifications should also be like this. But notifications works perfect for me.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

i wasn't talkin about your mail server...just the client (outlook,mail,thunderbird etc..)

after cleaning up the addressbook the correct names were shown again in my case.

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2013

Yes, you are right thats my username.

It's not an issue with the mail server. I confirmed with the Atlassian Support Team, he could recreate the same in their instance too. They asked me to submit a new feature request, which I am sure not gonna happen in next few years. Infact, this breaks some of our security concepts.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

hi vinshu

once i got confused by from mailnames too...

just to avoid a missunderstanding...your username is "30104133" ?

in no version of jira (i believe since 3.x) i have ever seen a mail like this...even if during testing mail server settings..

i believe this is something inside your mail client. which one are you using?

Suggest an answer