Why do the startdate and updated fields in the worklog table have same values?

Siddhant Bane January 3, 2020

I'm working on this public JIRA database shared on this post

Is there a logical explanation for why the created, updated and startdate of the worklog table all have the same values for all the rows? Is it supposed to be this way or is it because it is a dummy data? Can you help me understand the differences between the three fields?

How can I find the start time and the end time of an issue for its issueid?

Also, what is the unit for the timeworked field in the worklog table?

Screenshot from 2020-01-03 15-38-21.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrej Freeze _ greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2020

Hello @Siddhant Bane 

Each of those fields has a different purpose that is not too obvious at first, but becomes rather self explaning during usage.

Created Date

The Created Date shows you the point in time when this issue was created originally and is used throughout all jira applications as it belongs to Jira Core.

Updated Date

The Updated Date gets modified, whenever someone changes an issue. Therefore it shows the point in time, when this issue was last edited in any way. Like the created date it is a standard that is used throughout all jira applications.

Start Date

The Start Date is the point in time, when you plan to start work on your issue. It is mainly used within Portfolio for jira and by installing the app it will be added as custom field. I have never taken a look at it on a db level, but either it always holds a default value that remains hidden until modified, or it is was explicitally configured to receive a default value in your instance.

I hope that this was able to resolve some confusion. Have a happy new year and cheers,

Andrej from greenique

Siddhant Bane January 3, 2020

Thank you so much! This helps a lot.

Suggest an answer