Why do the queries require change in the format - what is the cause?

William Causey September 24, 2014

We are seeing a change for our JIRA Queries as follows: We where using the following query:

project = GVUKSUP AND (resolved >= startOfDay(-6d) and resolution != UnResolved) ORDER BY resolved

This worked until a few days ago - getting only the tickets that were not Unresolved within the last 6 days but now the same query changed and is required to be typed as follows:

project = GVUKSUP AND (resolved >= startOfDay(-6d) and resolution != "\"UnResolved\"") ORDER BY resolved

My question is what would cause this change to be made to the query?  It seems working queries are needing changes and we need to know what is the cause of the changes.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2014

I have a nagging doubt about this one - could you quickly check your list of resolutions under Admin -> Issues -> Resolutions - what is the full list?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2014

Amazing deduction

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2014

Seen it so many times... I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and say it's down to inexperience, but I struggle sometimes. The fact that the value is not there already when you go in to add it should make anyone think "hmm, it appears on-screen, why isn't it on the list already?" and hence "so why am I adding it?".

0 votes
William Causey September 24, 2014

This is the full list:

Fixed
Won't Fix
Duplicate
Incomplete
Cannot Reproduce
Applied Package Upgrade
Data Refreshed
Enhancement Request
Fixed Indirectly
Fixed in Code
Functions as Designed
No Action
Request Completed
Cancelled
Done
UnResolved (Default)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2014
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2014

ARGH! Get rid of the last one. Kill it. Kill it with fire! Actually, rename it to begin with - something like "bad resolution do not use me" or something. Then you can start on the repairs, it will make your searches work ok again, and it'll be obvious that it's broken. That resolution is an unmitigated disaster - it's telling Jira that the issue is RESOLVED. Doesn't matter what the text of the value is, the issue is resolved. You need to get rid of it as fast as possible. Check for the issues that are currently broken because they're using it - you'll need to re-open them or flip them over to another resolution. Then you can delete the broken resolution. I seem to remember the script-runner plugin has a really easy fix for this if you have it. Rename the resolution and then take a look at that!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2014

"Bother!", said Pooh, as he realised Jamie had beaten him to it while he was typing. Again.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2014

I didn't type much because I didn't want to steal your thunder. Atlassian really need to fix this one, it must have bit so many people.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2014

I still wanted to point at your Script-Runner as the easiest fix! I'm not sure how Atlassian could fix this. I suppose you could stick in a quick dictionary check so that people typing in synonyms like "unresolved", "done", "closed", "ended" and so-on get blocked with a big "don't do this" type warning. Personally, I'd prefer a meta-status fix. Bin the "resolution is set = resolved" approach and replace it with "Issues in status with this flag set on it are resolved". That feels like the way they're heading anyway, given the status categories. (I'd keep resolution as "why/how it's resolved", just change the way the flag works)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2014

Nic - I don't blame the people, most times I've seen this is jira -> jira export import using CSV. It creates a resolution called Unresolved. That is the bug. And so the prevention would be simple enough, prevent creating a resolution with the word that is used to display Unresolved, in all languages, and map that word to <null> when doing imports. Not perfect but a damn sight better than what we have now.

Suggest an answer