Why do the Default Date Fields in JIRA display the day and the time? Can the date format for the default fields in JIRA be changed?

Mustafa Shah September 6, 2012

The Default Date fields in JIRA show the Day and time when an issue was created in less than a weeks time. After a week has passed, it shows the date format in the System Default Date, Updated, and Resolved fields in the MM/DD/YY format. Is there a setting in JIRA that can be updated so the Default Dat fields will display the Date in MM/DD/YY format by default starting from the day the issue was created in JIRA. Screenshot is included. Please advise.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2012

I believe the day format listed for Created and Updated comes from the Look and Feel section of JIRA described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Customising+the+Look+and+Feel

I haven't tested it, but you can experiment and see what happens on a local instance or test/staging environment and whether or not this changes the date format anywhere else in the system.

I think the Activity Streams and Project Summary page information use this date format, so I'd expect whatever format you use to show up there as well (and potentially some other places).

If you mess up, it's easy enough to reset things back to the defaults. Just clear the date value format and click update. Here's a screesnhot of where to make the change. Hope this helps.

Mustafa Shah September 6, 2012
Hi Adam, I know about the Look and Feel section of JIRA 4.4 and I have tried to change that in the Test environment but with no success. The behavior of the Default Date fields is such during the entire week, the Field will display only the day and the time the issue was created. Is there a setting in JIRA that we can update to permanently display the Date format in the Default System Fields in MM/DD/YY format? Thank you.
Nicole Shepherd January 3, 2013

I had the same question come up recently as to why the MM/DD/YY doesn't display for a reopened ticket until after the current week has passed.

neeta jain September 23, 2020

Hi,

I have 2 custom fields called " Date R&D Delivery" and "Date into working"

They are populating automatically with the system date.

How can I resolve this, I dont want this field to be filled with the system date.

Regards,

Neeta JAIN

Suggest an answer