Why do test cases show in the Backlog?

Amy Lynch November 6, 2014

When reviewing the Agile Backlog - all the test cases that I have created in Zephyr are showing.  Test cases are not a backlog item and would be applicable across Sprints.  How do I get them to not show.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2014

Use Filter Query in Agile Board Configure?

issuetype != test case

Basharat Ahmed March 25, 2018

Hi Ollie can you please tell me how to 'Add' filters for backlog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2018

Go to the board configuration -> quick filters

Like Liset Gomez Chávez likes this
ankitha.pareek2@mindtree.com October 9, 2018

Hi Nick , I am facing the same issue. I am not able to find the Board Configuration.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2018

You may be using a Business board, these do not have configuration.  Or you're not a board admin.

0 votes
Olivier MOREAU February 7, 2020

Hi everyone,

About the technical aspect of showing or hidding the Xray elements in the backlog, both the board filter and quickfilters are possible solutions.

However, what is the meaning of having a Test Plan, Test Set, Test, Test Execution in the backlog ? I suppose that a Test Plan in the backlog means that the Test Plan should be specified/written. A Test in the backlog means the Test should be specified/written. A Test is Done means the Test has been written and is ready for execution in a test execution. A Test Execution is in the backlog means the Test Execution should be done in a Sprint. A Test Execution in Done status, means the test has been executed.

With this interpretation, it is clear that activities arround Test are planned like User Stories, with the same Scrum mindset.

Do you agree with my vision or am I completely wrong ?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Regards,

Olivier

0 votes
Amy Lynch November 7, 2014

I did apply this filter and it worked - Thank you! 

I would like to understand one step further though. Why would tests be in a backlog in the first place?  What is that logic in JIRA?

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2014

By default, all the issue will be displayed in the backlog,It all depends on the filter Settings

Robby Economides January 12, 2022

In Jira it is just another issue so it shows on the board.  If you create another project just to store XRay items then you wont see them on the project board.

Suggest an answer