Why do system users count towards the total number of Jira Service Desk agents?

Mia McMillan March 22, 2018

We are being charged for 26 Jira service desk agents however when I checked, half of those are system users e.g. plugins like Trello and Slack integration etc.

When I tried to revoke access to some of these plugins, I get a message that "System users product access cannot be removed."

Why are we getting billed for these system users when they're not JSD agents?

Should we just remove these plugins?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2018

Hi Mia,

You should not be billed for system users. If you are, then there's something very wrong.

Could you confirm what version of Jira Service desk you are running? If you're on Cloud, I could take a look at your instance, but I wasn't able to find an account with your email address. 

I did, however, find an account that's registered to the same domain as your email. This is for ar*******k.atlassian.net. Is this the instance that's having the issue?

Regards,

Shannon

Mia McMillan March 23, 2018

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your reply. It turns out that I only counted the first page of users! My mistake! This is to confirm that we are only getting billed for actual agents and not system users.

May I suggest that system users be excluded from the list of users with access? Or at least group them separately?

Cheers,

Mia

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2018

Hi Mia,

The system users are listed separately.

You can see here if you only have Active Users selected, then only your licensed users will show up. Per my example, I try to search for addon users in your instance, but since I don't have System Users selected, none show up:

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 11.35.02 AM.png

Then, If I select System Users, they show up here:

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 11.35.11 AM.png

I hope that's clear, but let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon

Mia McMillan March 23, 2018

Ah, I see it now. I was looking at Application Access (not Users) because that's where I can see License usage and have the ability to Revoke access from JSD.

Thanks for your help!

app access jsd.JPG

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 23, 2018

Ahh, understood. :) Thank you for confirming you were able to find the feature.

Let me know if you run into any further issues, otherwise, have a pleasant weekend.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Constantin Teleman April 26, 2018

Hello @Shannon S - only partially related to this thread, we're getting the same error as above, when trying to revoke some system users permissions.

System users product access cannot be removed

Also , our main problem is that when installing a new add-on (BigPicture in our case), we need to add the newly created system user to a group, and we can't do that because we get the above error too.

image.png

Can you please suggest a solution? 

Thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2018

Hi Constantin,

Users that are not a system administrator (so non-Atlassian users) are not able to modify system users in any way in Cloud.

I made a feature request here to clarify the error message:

If you need to move the add-on into a group to get it to work properly, please contact Support and they can take care of that for you.

Thank you for your understanding!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer