Why do my issues not appear on my kanban boards anymore.

Michelle Dyer April 14, 2016

We have always had 4 kanban boards that worked fine, over the last couple of weeks I have added around 20 new boards, when i create an issue I can view it on the board, the problem seems to be with 4 older boards, all of a sudden when I view the boards the issues are no longer there. If i create a new issue to these older boards, the issue creates but when I click view on board, it says that the board has no issues. Also if I click on one of the boards it says No issues are currently visible check the board configuration. All the projects are there, boards are there and issues are there but its as if they aren't linked. I am new to JIRA so cant work it out - please can anyone help. Many thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Michelle Dyer April 14, 2016

Many thanks Tom.

Thanks Nic, when I go into the board conf - general - Im not sure what you mean by run the filter in the navigator? sorry to be a pain 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2016

It's the first tab in the config for the board.  It'll display things like the name and the filters involved in the board.

The filter is a general thing, it's not just for the boards - you can see it in plain JIRA as well in the "issue navigator" - the question I'm trying to answer is "does the filter return your issue" - if you use the filter on a board, there's other things that might hide issues.  If you try it in the issue navigator, you will always get all the issues. 

Deleted user April 14, 2016

easy way to 'run it' is to click on the "edit Filter query" option when you are in the General tab. It will open the filter in the issues screen and you can run it there. You can also make any changes if you need to and save the updated version.

Michelle Dyer April 15, 2016

Hi Nic, no the filter does does not return my issue, any further advice I would be grateful. Thanks Nic and Tom

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2016

Right, that answers why the board is empty - it's filtering for no issues.

You need to work out why the filter is returning no issues.  Look at the definition of it (if you're not sure, swap to the "advanced" view in the navigator and you'll get the raw JQL for it, which you can then paste as plain text here and we can explain it to you)

0 votes
Deleted user April 14, 2016

I agree with Nick, start with your filter, but since you are new to Jira, this might help you;

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-filters

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2016

First, what is the filter for the board that is missing the issues?  (Go to board config - > general) Can you run that filter in the navigator and get the right results?

If that does not work, it's the filter that is deselecting them.  If it does work, then look at the sub-filter next.

Suggest an answer