Why do multiple stages begin at the same time in JIRA Portfolio?

steve tolson August 11, 2016

Hello,

I've setup four stages in JIRA Portoflio: Initiation, Development & Testing, Production & Rollout, & Business

• Initiation = Blue
  • Development & Testing = Red
  • Production & Rollout = Green
  • Business Sign-off = Pink

In the example below, i have a project called Motherboard 2.0. Three of my stages are starting at the same time. I believe the purpose of the stages is to sequentially organize activities, so why are these three starting at the same time?

stages in portfolio.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Setting enforce concurrent work did the trick...

0 votes
Ryan Porter August 11, 2016

You might want to check to make sure that you have the "Stage sprint constraint" setting turned on, in your portfolio configuration.  Under "Scheduling".

The stage spring constraint was turned off, but I turned it on and still have the same result. I've got this setup as a kanban style portfolio and a kanban team. Could that also be a contributing factor?

We are trying to avoid managing to the sprint level detail in Portfolio b/c of the volume of projects we have an the different variations of sprint length, etc. that we have too.

Any other ideas?

Ryan Porter August 11, 2016

Apologies, that was the extent of my ability to assist.  I also have my own problems with the scheduler inexplicably generating bizarre schedules for kanban teams that seem to have nothing to do with what I'm telling it to do.  To the point where we can't use JIRA Portfolio at all.  That's what brought me here in the first place.

Suggest an answer