Why do many Jira Workflows not set Resolution while Jira Assumes this field Defines Open/Done?

James P. Hilving February 19, 2014

Many queries, like the system "My Open Isuses", assumes that the Resolution = Unresolved is the key to seeing if an issue is completed or not.

Jira now has some very handy Project Templates and Workflows that offer many out of the box solutions. The problem I am seeing is how many just do not set a resolution? Even the "Typical Software Development" workflow does not set the resolution.

This makes queries that rely on the resolution field useless. In this case I have no way to remove the "Done" Issues from my "Open Isuses" Filter.

So while I know that I can fix this in the workflow...why is the system and the "common" workflows not matching up? Just adding 'AND status != Done' would actually make a lot of these workflows work without needing extra modifications.

4 answers

0 votes

Yes I agree...a post function (for Done) would be ideal.

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

Just adding 'AND status != Done' is not the way to go. Actually a workflow post function should be created so that JIRA will automatically set the issue Resolution.

I think Atlassian might need to look at this as a future improvement.

0 votes

We are currently on v6.1.1.

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

What's the version of your JIRA?

Suggest an answer