Why do bulk comments not notify via e-mail?

Shane Day November 18, 2012

Over the last two weeks, staff have been complaining that they are not being notified by e-mail when a comment is added via bulk.

Twice weekly, issues that meet a certain filter, including that they haven't been updated for 2 weeks, have a comment added to them asking for the status to be updated, the idea being that if hopefully the assignees get annoyed enough they'll actually update the issue.

If I hand edit them, the e-mails get through. If I bulk update, noone receives any e-mails. I know the first question will be "Did you have the send e-mails clicked?", and the answer to that is yes, I did have "Send e-mails" clicked.

I know it's also potentially ending up in a spam filter somewhere, but we have to layers of spam filters, both systems quarantine. So we would know if they were ending up there.

Any ideas before I raise a support issue with Atlassian?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthew Hunter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2012

Hi Shane,

Bulk Editing issues actually throws the 'Issue Updated' event, so you need to edit your notification scheme and add users or groups to that event type. :)

Cheers,

Matt

Sangamitra Singh July 21, 2019

Hi @matthew hunter,

We are still facing this issue even after setting 'Issue Updated' with right notifications-permissions.

Is there any other thing that I can check?

Regards,

Sangamitra

2 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2012

Aha, that puts things in a different light, sorry. If you have indeed clicked the 'yes' button, thats fine, but what event fires (if you just modifying a field, then you'll get an issue updated event), who gets that in your notification scheme?, the default is:

So, if you bulk edit something you should see that update. The bulk edit would be no different to a hand edit in that regard. To monitor more closely, do a bulk edit of only one issue, in another window have the JIRA mail queue open, after you hit the final Go button, check the mail queue, you have oh 60S or so to notice a queued mail for the issue in question. If an email is going out, thats half the question, you should find a tally between the above and numbers of email, if you get none, check your target project is actually hooked up to the Notification Scheme you think.

If you get nothing in the queue, repeat the change you made via bulk, but on that same individual issue, check the Mail queue again, what changed? Identical results are good, whatever they are, it shows consistent behaviour. Then you need to look at the curent people invovled in the issue, crossmatch above, tell us more.

0 votes
Shane Day November 19, 2012

Hi Andy,

Thanks again for the response. I've tried all of this (although whether it should be called "adding" or "editing" is up for debate), and still no e-mails. I'm convinced it's a bug now and will raise it through our support.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2012

If you are editing a comment, the 'Issue Commented' above will indeed not fire, and this will be the result, I've verified this locally with the Debug event listener. Add the same again for the comment updated and you should find your auto bulk edit / annoy will be back in action.

0 votes

Hi Andy,

Thank you again for the response. I had checked all that stuff previously. We have only one Notification Scheme. In the bulk update I am "Updating Comment". This is from the scheme:

Issue Commented (System)

I do not have notifications for "Issue Comment Edited". Is that potentially the issue? If so, why did this change from a couple of weeks ago when it worked?

0 votes

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the quick response. That setting is indeed set like that, however are you sure you've understood my problem correctly? This problem is for outgoing e-mail notifications after using the "Bulk Change" feature of the Issue Searcher. I've looked through the link supplied and it's interesting but I can't see anything relevant to this issue.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2012

Check you incoming mailhandler, if you have a bulk=ignore, that will do what you describe, the recommended value is 'forward', so that the forwardAddress is notified. If you remove it, that should solve the problem, but leaves you exposed to email loops.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

Suggest an answer