Why do JIRA resolutions always come back?

Horst Krause November 22, 2015

We installed JIRA 6 some time ago. According to ViewApplicationProperties.jspa the default language is german. Although some users use german, others use english.

On ViewResolutions.jspa the configures resolutions are shown. There we have the set of original english resolutions (IDs starting from 1) and some custom defined resolutions. Because even for german speaking developers the common naming of the resolutions is english, we did not change the original set and just added some more (english) resolutions. 

Everything fine so far. But from time to time (we did not find out what triggers this) JIRA automatically adds four more german named resolutions (IDs at the moment 10301 to 10304). We deleted them several times, but the will always come back automatically.

Any idea what's happening here and how to prevent this?

Thanks for help. Horst.

3 answers

1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2015

Hi Horst,

I suspect what is happening is that there is some confusion with the mixture of languages in use. Are the four German named translations that are added the same four everytime? Does it happen when you do an upgrade even a minor point upgrade may add resolutions which are considered absent.

For those resolutions which the English is clearer than the German have you put a translation in for German that just uses the English words? JIRA is not clever enough to recognise that these words are not German and will just display them if the user has German selected as their language.

Hope this helps

Phill

Horst Krause November 23, 2015

The re-added resolutions are always the same: "Fertig" (done), "Reicht nicht" (invalid), "Duplikat" (duplicate) and "Kann nicht reproduziert werden" (cannot reproduce). We did not detect when the resolutions are re-added. But we are quite sure, if does not depend on updates of jira or addons, because the come back more often than we update jira.

0 votes
iobeyer June 14, 2016

Could be this bug (please vote): https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-12881

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2015

I've seen this happen with addons as well - some demand certain resolutions are present and if they detect they're missing, will add them in even if you delete them.  What are the four resolutions that keep being re-added?

Horst Krause November 23, 2015

The re-added resolutions are always the same: "Fertig" (done), "Reicht nicht" (invalid), "Duplikat" (duplicate) and "Kann nicht reproduziert werden" (cannot reproduce). We did not detect when the resolutions are re-added. But we are quite sure, if does not depend on updates of jira or addons, because the come back more often than we update jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2015

Ok, two follow up questions 1) Can you enable the admininstration log and then see what it says the next time the resolutions are re-added? 2) How are you deleting the resolutions?

Horst Krause November 24, 2015

1) I set com.atlassian.jira.action.admin to DEBUG. Is this right? 2) I delete the resolutions via the delete link (...secure/admin/DeleteResolution!default.jspa?id=x).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2015

2) Good, we can forget that line of thought 1) Not what I meant (although it may also be useful). Go to Admin, hit search and look for "log", you should find an audit log mentioned. Enable that. Although your debug line might be quite handy too - next time the resolutions go missing, have a look at the application log - the debug might be telling that more as well.

Horst Krause November 25, 2015

I found an log which lists the adminstratives changes (changes on users, components, versions, permission schemes, ...). Perhaps that the log you mentioned? Anyway I deleted the resolutions and will wait for them to come back. At least the deletion was not logged in the administrative changes. We'll see...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2015

That sounds right - all in the Admin UI right?

Horst Krause December 13, 2015

Still not sure as we did not get the resolutions back on live system. But we did some experiments on test system. It looks like the resolutions (and also some issue types) are created automatically if a new project is created by using one of the pre-defined JIRA project types. Since we realized this and informed all admins to always use just the classic project type, creating new projects did not add the resolutions again.

Like Tanja Schmidt likes this

Suggest an answer