Why do I see closed issues when I press on 'open issues'?

Lilah Marziano December 11, 2017

I changed a few issues to closed status (marked as green), but when I press on 'open issues' I see them in the list. I would like to see only the open and in progress ones.

Thank you.

2 answers

2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Make sure that a resolution is set for issues in the Closed status. If resolution is not set, then Jira will treat them as open. 

How do I add resolution? Only the assignee can add resolution?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

You can

1. Add a screen on the transition to the closed status with the resolution field. In this case a user who will make the transition will set the resolution mannually.

2. Add the Update Issue Field post function on the transition to the closed status. In the post function set the resolution field to a suitable value. In this case the resolution will be set automatically

Hi,

I should do 1 and 2? or only one of them?

How do I do that? should I edit the workflow?

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2017

Yes, you edit the workflow.  You should choose one of the two options - doing both is confusing for the users because they'll choose a resolution only to have it overridden by the post-function.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2017

You should do either 1 or 2. If you want the resolution to be set manually then number 1, if you want the resolution to be set automatically then number 2.

Yes, you should edit the workflow. You can read more in the following link about editing workflows

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/working-with-workflows-828787890.html

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2017

The issues which you already closed will not be updated. You need to update them manually. Choose either:

1. If you have Adaptivist ScriptRunner add-on then there is the Bulk Fix Resolutions built in script.

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/builtin-scripts.html#_bulk_fix_resolutions

2. You can create a transition from the Closed status to itself. And add there Update Issue Field post function in which you update the resolution field. Then you retrieve all issues which are in the closed status and resolution is empty in the issue navigator. Then you can use bulk change functionality to execute the created transition on the selected issues.

Read more about bulk change here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-861257342.html

I have tried 2, it doesn't allow me to add any transition from a closed status:(

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2017

That is right. If you have no outgoing transactions from a status then you can not add a new outgoing transaction to the status if the workflow is acitve.

You need to creata a copy of the workflow, then make all changes to the copied workflow and add the workflow to the project workflow scheme instead of the old workflow.

such frustration:(:( 

Thank you anyway for all your help

0 votes

Thank you, I did 2.

What about issues I have already closed? It doesn't update in retrospect?

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2017

No, they don't.

You can do the following:

1) Add a temporary transition in your workflow that leads from your 'Closed' status to your 'Closed' status, basically points to itself.

2) Add a post-function to this transition that sets a resolution.

3) Bulk edit the issues that are in 'Closed' status but have not resolution (you can use this JQL: status = Closed and resolution is empty). On the bulk edit screen select "Transition issues" and pick the transition you've just created.

4) After your issues are transitioned feel free to remove this transition from your workflow.

Suggest an answer