Why do I need to migrate the issue when issue type changes?

rklerck December 16, 2020

I have multiple task types, with all the same extra fields like priority, due date, etc. When I for example change it from "task" to "refine" I always get the whole migrate issue steps... It takes like 5 clicks to only change a type.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2020

It does it because the issue type has a lot of configuration hung off it and it needs to check the data is compatible and ask you to change it if it isn't.

You can directly "edit" the issue type, but only when the source and target issue types are using the same workflow and field configurations and contexts.

It happened after we added 2 fields "priority" and "due date", but these fields are connected to all the task types. That's why I don't understand it. Also, we didn't really configure a complex workflow.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2020

The complexity doesn't matter, the direct edit option goes away when issue types are not sharing the same configuration items, even when the separate items are the same as each other.

Okay, and it there a way to let them share "the same configuration items"? I have absolutely no idea what that exactly means.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2020

Go to the project settings (I'm guessing these issues are in the same project) and check over the schemes - you need them to be set to use the same workflow in the workflow scheme, and the same field configuration in the field configuration scheme.  You also need to check the list of custom fields in global admin to make sure they have the same contexts for every field.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events