Why do I need a Summary Mapping when I'm already providing an Issue Key Mapping?

Tom Bridges April 12, 2016

When I'm performing an Import from a CSV file, why do I need a Summary Mapping when I'm already providing an Issue Key Mapping?

The data I'm trying to map to the current issues does not have the Summary field so this is impossible to import the data.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Summary is the only field in JIRA that you absolutely have to fill in when doing an import from CSV (and the rest of the time actually).  It can never be left blank.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

No, that's not what I said.  Summary is mandatory, but it's not a key.

Tom Bridges April 12, 2016

But why? I'm supplying the Issue Key, so the importer should know which issue to put the Comment Body against. It makes no sense to require the summary too. The Comments I'm trying to import and stored in a table that links via the Issue Key, so the Summary isn't available.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2016

Ah, you don't need the summary if all the updates have a key so that it's clearly an update.

Suggest an answer