Why do Email Notification gets skipped occasionally for users?

Ananda January 17, 2013

Certain users often complaint of non-receipt of email notification,

when a jira ticket is assigned to them, they generally get the mail alerts, but for a few instances again when they are assigned a ticket they don't receive emails, These are tickets within the same project, so how can this be removed?

These are also not present in the mail error queue.

Also is it possible to track the same, if a mail is not delivered for any reason that a failure of mail be generated at a later instance?

2 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013
You can check the outgoing mails log and see if there are any issues. Enable mail logging and check for those issues which users complain. Remember, the logs can grow to large sizes so be careful with disk size and delete them once you complete the analysis.
0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

yep i was about posting that too..

you can increase loglevel as well in $your_jira/secure/admin/ViewLogging.jspa

Ananda January 24, 2013

Guys i also tried turning on the mail debug log, but there are a few instances when the same user gets notifications and doesn't for the same scenario, i have raised this with Atlassian,

any suggestions?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

You have to tell us what the logs say when the user is not getting. (outgoing mail log)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2013

You also need to go over the exact settings in Jira. What does the notification scheme say, exactly? For the "assign" event if we want to debug that. Does the user always match the mail conditions? Do they have "email me on my changes" set?

Also, check their spam folders. Once I've checked the notification schemes, I find 99.99% of "lost" emails are down to users filtering on their client machine, or even just deleting them unread.

Suggest an answer