Why didn't my post function resolve issue?

Sean Hart March 8, 2018

I've created a simple task workflow Open -> In Progress -> Done. There is a post function on the transition to Done that marks the issue as resolved. 

I recently had a user complain that his task remains unresolved despite being Done. 

I have verified that the project is using the correct workflow for task issues. I have verified that the post function is present in the workflow. I have created a new task within the project and taken it through the workflow -- resolution was set properly.

What could have caused an issue to be moved to the Done status without triggering the post function? Additionally, how do I mark this issue as resolved so it is removed from the Open Issues queue?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sean Hart March 8, 2018

Thanks for the input @Kyle Moseley.  After some further research, I discovered the problem. The user converted the issue from a Story to a Task and updated the status to Done during that change. Therefore, the transition to the Done status didn't technically happen and the post function didn't trigger. 

1 vote
Kyle Moseley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018

Is your post function to set resolution occurring after re-indexing?

Can you verify that the user's experience actually happened? If you have the project key, you can go to the project, see its history and see if it transitioned after you introduced your post-function changes.

Also, does the Done status have any other transitions into it? Such as "<-All"? Where they could be sneaking into that status.

If the problem really is valid, and you don't have another transition into Done, it's hard to think of a scenario that does not involve the wrong workflow being associated with that project/issuetype.

Just some ideas, hope this helps.

Kyle Moseley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018

And a simple way to mark the issue as resolved is to add Resolution to the edit screen for this issuetype/project, go in make your change, then remove that field from the edit screen.

Suggest an answer