• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Why can you create a dashboard from the manage dashboard page, but you cannot create a filter from the manage filter page? This seems like simple logic.

Why can you create a dashboard from the manage dashboard page, but you cannot create a filter from the manage filter page? This seems like simple logic.

Why can you create a dashboard from the manage dashboard page, but you cannot create a filter from the manage filter page?  This seems like simple logic.

1 answer

0 votes

I suspect it's because the methods of "creating" them are very different.  When you want a new dashboard, you are basically asked "copy one, or blank?".  When you want a new filter, you are probably going to want to play with a few fields, type in some JQL, refine it several times.

Also, I think the question is actually the other way around - it might be easier to think about why the "create dashboard" link is under "manage".  As you use Jira, you'll see that there are loads of ways of getting to the issue navigator so you can play with a filter - links from gadgets, people emailing you, quick search, clicking issues -> search, last 10 filters you used, etc etc etc.  There are only a couple of getting to a dashboard, and there's no logical place to stick a "create new dashboard" link anywhere other than under "manage"

So that means that there is not a simple 'Create Filter' button and no intention of creating one? I am the admin for several projects and scrum master for several groups and often need to create a filter quickly and having to go to the issues tab, then manage filter, then open an old filter, then type in my own JQL seems very cumbersome and not customer-oriented

Eh? Why are you digging up old filters or using "manage filters"? Go to any filter on your Issues menu and blank it out. Or better, use Issues -> Search for issues, and you land in the issue navigator with no filter defined - a completely blank slate for your new JQL. I'd agree that would be a nice link to have when you're in "manage filters" as well.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,919 views 19 22
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you