Why can't anybody else then servicedesk operators edit incidents

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2016

We're running JIRA servicedesk because we want to monitor SLA's on our incidents. But we want to be able to assign incidents to people outside of the IT Operations, to product owners and developers in scrum teams. We can't all make them operator, that would be too expensive. So now our servicedesk has to clone all the issues to seperate projects which is very inefficient. I don't understand why Atlassian has chosen for this impractical solution.

2 answers

0 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2017

Vote on this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-931

It's a limitation in the licensing scheme. Only full fledged agents can do anything useful with tickets which is a bit bizarre.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2016

The Create and Link operation allows you to create and link problems to incidents. The Problem could for instance be created in a JIRA Core or JIRA Software project. Atlassian has added a usable event to the Automation engine that allows you to action an issue if a 'linked' issue is transitioned.

The desired workflow in this instance would be to Create and Link an issue. The receiving party can do whatever they want, how ever they want. Then during a transition, you can do the following – 

• Post an Internal comment
  • Post an External comment
  • Transition the issue

The default rule that comes out of the box includes a filter to only include incidents linked with causes/is caused by link type, and to only perform the action when the other issue is resolved.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2016

Yes but we'd still have to create and link an issue by hand for every incident that is created, which is wildly impractical. All i want is to have the opportunity to have a project "incidents" that can be assigned to anyone and to measure SLA's on it. At this moment the only advantage i see in JIRA servicedesk is the SLA timer, and maybe the customer portal but it's not that hard for our business to create incidents in the regular JIRA way anyway.

Mark Anderson August 20, 2016

I'm in same situation (using cloud), I want my developers to see only issues assigned to them (which doesn't seem possible) even if they ARE service desk agents).

I tried the linked issue and I'm OK with it because we don't want all internal developer comments and stuff in service desk, but I DO want to know it' status in the software project, who it's currently assigned to and most importantly, when they mark it DONE, a notification or status change in ServiceDesk.

I'm pretty new to JIRA, so still trying to figure things out

Suggest an answer