Why can't I view emailed comments on an issue?

Kristy Carney December 20, 2016

Our company is using JIRA in the cloud. A user emailed comments to a ticket using the correct email address and also putting the issue number in the subject line. I can see that the comment was logged in the ticket, but there is no text, only an expand/collapse button, which reveals nothing.  I have verified that that user has the correct permissions to Browse Projects.  I am an administrator of the project and I cannot see the comments either. I also tried adding comments to the ticket via email as well and see that my action was logged but not the text of my email.

3 answers

0 votes
Coley Anderson November 8, 2017

We are having the same issue now as well. It does not happen often, but lately has been happening more! The comment will show up, but the content is blank. Same user will forward an email to another ticket and it shows up fine. I see this ticket is almost a year old, just wanted to see if there was any traction on this!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2017

This isn't a ticket; This is a community drive Q&A site. No community member can see anything inside your applications and we can't see your logs. Anything like that needs to be handled by Atlassian support proper.

To be clear, you're also describing a very different issue than the one in this question. The original question was indicating that the email never seemed to show up at all. You're saying the comment appears, but is blank. These are likely not the same issue whatsoever.

Coley Anderson November 9, 2017

Thanks for responding Steven! I "misspoke" when calling this a ticket, I am aware that it is a community driven site! We are seeing this same thing - "A user emailed comments to a ticket using the correct email address and also putting the issue number in the subject line. I can see that the comment was logged in the ticket, but there is no text, only an expand/collapse button, which reveals nothing" from the original comment. I was mostly just looking to see if Kristy was still running into this :)

0 votes
Kristy Carney December 20, 2016

We have it set to POP Mail Server. Under Mail Handlers, we have a single mail handler called "Comments from emails" set to "Cloud Email Handler". The Handler params are createusers=false,senderEmail=no-reply@xxxx.atlassian.net,stripquotes=true,bulk=ignore. Forward email is blank.

I am not sure if that is enough information.  We periodically run into this issue, when a user replies to an email from JIRA...their comments never show up on the ticket, not does it even show they ever took an action. But if they try again, it will show up.  In this case, for this project, it is happening every single time.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2016

Can you describe your configuration of your Inbound Email Handler?

Suggest an answer