Why can't I see the new JIRA sidebar

Andrew Sasak March 18, 2016

When the new sidebar was launched last October (http://blogs.atlassian.com/2015/10/jira-software-just-got-easier-navigate-fun/) I disabled it from my user menu. I now want to enable it, but don't have an option in my user menu. My teammate with the same permissions has the sidebar. How do I enable this?

2 answers

0 votes
Prantar Bora March 22, 2016

Hi,

As suggested in comment above, it might be because the option to toggle the view is switched off in JIRA admin settings. In this case where you are unable to switch the view back on, but your teammate is in the new view, it is most probably because the option to toggle is switched off. So once you disabled it, you cant get it back.

A JIRA administrator can enable this setting (6.4.x, not sure about 7.x and cloud) by going to administration-- system-- user interface-- project navigation.

0 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2016

Hi Andrew,

Please find this article. Hope this helps https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/an-introduction-to-project-centric-navigation-715359130.html#Anintroductiontoprojectcentricnavigation-FAQ9

Regards

Chander Inguva

Andrew Sasak March 21, 2016

I read all of this but this doesn't seem to have anything to do with my problem. Both me and my teammate are looking at the same board on the same projects and have very different views. He sees the sidebar, while I still see the old style navigation with Backlog, Active Sprint, Report buttons on the top right.

Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2016

Hi @Andrew Sasak,

It sounds like you may be experiencing a bug of sorts if you no longer have the option to turn the sidebar on again. This option should present itself in your user menu, providing your running a 6.4.x version of JIRA. If you're on JIRA 7.0 or above, the sidebar should be on by default. I'm not sure from your question if you're on our Cloud service for JIRA, or if you're operating off a server installation onsite. Either way, I think the best solution would be to contact our support team at www.support.atlassian.com, and let them know what your installation type is and hopefully they can help resolve the issue, though they may need to get your JIRA administrator involved if it's a server installation. 

The situation should be:

• JIRA 6.4 installation - option to turn the sidebar on or off in your user menu, unless your admin has made the choice for you, in which case either yourself or your colleague is experiencing a bug if one of you can see the sidebar and the other cannot.
  • JIRA 7.0 and above - the sidebar should be turned on by default, if you can't see it, there's a bug.
  • JIRA Cloud - as per JIRA 7.0, the sidebar should be on by default, so there must be a bug.

The only thing I can think of that you could try yourself is that if it's possibly a cache setting that's persisting, deleting your cache and temporary internet files may reset your profile. However if you're not confident attempting this, I'd contact our support team.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Warren

Suggest an answer