Why can't I open a New Tab to create an Issue from any Page?

Veronica Mapp October 12, 2017

In the Newest Jira Version, the Side Menu is easier to navigate, however, previously, no matter where I was in the menu, I could right click on 'ISSUES' and select the option to open in a New Tab or Window.

Today, I can only open to open a new issue. 

The reason this was helpful in the past was because I used other issues/tasks/Stories/Features etc. as a guide to ensure that for the many projects I work on, that I use the correct formats to enter issues as different Projects that I work on use different formats/descriptive information.

Thank you for your assistance

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2017

Hi Veronica,

If I understand your concern here is in regards to the Jira Cloud platform and the new interface for Jira not providing the same options as before.   However I believe you can still open a new tab from just about any page in this new Jira interface.   The changes though no longer have that old Issues button in the navbar in order to do this.

Instead you can first left click the Search (magnifying glass icon), then you can right click on the "View All Issues" to open that in a new tab if you like.  This will open the new tab to the issue search page.

The same is true if you need to create a new issue in a new tab, just first left click the + sign, then right click on the create new issue link there to open that in a new tab.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Andy Heinzer

Riley McLeod April 4, 2018

Hi Andy, 

Similar to Veronica I was a heavy user of the creating in a new tab (usually through right-click on the Create button). Aside from being able to quickly reference other tickets in the other tabs, it was a way better experience for filling out the description field. The popup dialog locks the field height which means a lot of scrolling.

I tried following the flows you suggested but all of the right-click options have been disabled and even the old create URL doesn't seem to work. Do you know if there is a plan to bring back a full-page Create view?

Thanks!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Hi Riley,

There does not appear to be a perfect equivalent to this in the current Cloud UI for Jira.  There is an existing feature request for this in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69050

I did find that I could access the site of https://[yourcloudsite].atlassian.net/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa  This direct link would then provide a single page where you can create new issues.   With that knowledge, I found that I could then create a new entry in the Application Navigator.  Granted this is not exactly the same, and would still require you to make at least one more click before you could then right click that link to open in a new page, but it might help here.

Like # people like this
Riley McLeod April 5, 2018

This is great - huge thanks for the help!

Suggest an answer