Why can't I have "Epic Name" field on Create Issue screen?

Robert Werner November 7, 2017

I have a JIRA Business Project in which I want to create a new Issue.  In many cases I like to attach an Issue to an Epic when I create it.  But the Epic Name field isn't visible on the Create Issue dialog box.  When I went to investigate this, I was informed:

"The field 'Epic Name' is not configured in scope of the project 'Customer Support' and issue type 'Task' 
To solve this issue, go to 'Epic Name' configuration page and add it to the scope"

But going to that page revealed that Epic Name was "LOCKED".  Try as I might, there was no way to add it to the Create Issue dialog box.

How do I resolve this?

Robert

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

"Epic Name" is not the field you want. That would be defining a new Epic to link other issues to. Switch it to "Epic Link" and you should be good. 

Emin Devrim Fidan June 10, 2023

Thank you for the solution!

0 votes
Robert Werner November 8, 2017

Kian & Alexey: You guys rock!!!

That's precisely what I needed.  Mahalo!!!

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2017

Hello, 

If you want attach epic to an issue then on creation screen of the issue you should add Epic Link field. Epic Name field can be added only to Epic issue type. 

Suggest an answer