Why can't I estimate against tasks and sub-tasks?

Deleted user February 21, 2015

Hi,

I don't understand why I can't estimate against tasks and sub tasks?

I have routine tasks each sprint which take an amount of time like e.g. fixed reviews with legal and risk, which aren't directly related to stories and I can't estimate against these. This means i'm unable to do burndown reports as it doesn't account for the effort for parts of the sprint.

Say if I have a story which is 'redesign the layout of a product details page,/ this story is broken down into numerous sub-tasks, like sketching, prototyping, development, QA but yet I can't estimate against these because they are sub-tasks. I can't create these as stories as by definition this isn't what they are.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Mark

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2015

Hello again smile

Looks like Time Tracking fields are not configured for Task and Sub-Task issue types. Please look at the screenshot and instructions here https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/Defining+a+Screen, Configuring a screen's tabs and fields.

Screenshot.png

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2015

Did it help?

Deleted user February 24, 2015

Yes it did, all sorted now. Thanks very much for your help. Mark

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2015

That's great! Could you please mark the answer as Accepted.

Leon Chadwick December 6, 2018

The link is broken, could you please update to show the screenshot/instructions.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2015

@Mark Loydall,

Someone with Administration Permissions will need to add them to your Project's Task and Sub Task issue type's screens. This is done through the Administrator panel.

Jeff Berndt May 12, 2015

Do you mean Administration Permissions at the project level or the site level?

0 votes
Deleted user February 22, 2015

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I’ve checked and it doesn’t look like time tracking is an option in my configure fields drop down? please see screen shot below.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mark

Configure fields.PNG

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2015

Hi Mark,

You should be able to estimate Tasks and Sub-tasks. I guess that Time Tracking fields are hidden for Tasks and Sub-tasks.

Please try:

On Taks or Sub Task  Edit Issue dialog on top right click  Configure Fields and make sure that Time Tracking check-box is on.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events