Why can't I delete a comment on an issue in JIRA?

Doug Miller June 9, 2013

I have read the documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Commenting+on+an+Issue which seems to be pretty straigh forward regarding editing/deleting a comment. There are supposed to be little icons in the upper right hand corner when you hover over the comment (this is depicted in the 'Editing a comment' area with a screenshot).

I do no have these icons. I have searched all over the internet and I cannot figure this out.

First, I thought that I may not have "Delete own comments" or the "Delete all comments" permissions on the project. So I checked these values. I do have them set.

Next, I thought there may be some group to permission issue. So I used the 'Permission helper' and looked up my user, with a specific issue that had a comment on it, and I got a green check box with a messsage 'You have the "Delete Own Comments" permission!" but the icons still do not appear.

I am at a loss now. We have JIRA 6.0.1 installed and did upgrade from a 5.2 install.

Is there something else I can check or something I am missing?

Thanks for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2013

Reindex it.

1 vote
Doug Miller June 9, 2013

I was able to solve my problem. I did Re-Index and that did not solve my issue. However, this lead me to research it further.

I looked at more recent issues and I was able to see the edit/delete icons. This was both before, and after the re-index. The only difference I could find is that we had issues marked 'open', 'resolved', and 'closed'. None of the 'closed' issues could be edited/deleted.

It seems that you can add comments to a closed issue but you cannot edit/delete those comments. I reopened the issue and I could then edit/delete the comments. This seems like a bug to me because I do not think that you should be able to comment on a closed issue.

EDIT: Marking the 'reindex it' answer as correct as it lead me to the solution. However, that in and of itself did not solve the issue. Thanks for the input.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2013

Sounds like you have the jira.issue.editable flag in your Closed step; this means you wouldn't be able to edit issues in a Closed status - see more info here. :)

Like # people like this
Doug Miller June 10, 2013

You are exactly right. Now that I know it was due to a closed issue I can find it on google searches. I still do not understand what the reasoning behind being able to comment on a closed issue is. Any ideas on this? Having to make a new workflow or reopening just to edit/delete a comment seems odd.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

I understand why some people would want Closed issues not be edited (I remove that flag from my workflows, I can't stand it myself), but as for commenting on a Closed issue I suppose that you might need to add info to an issue after it's closed, for communication's sake.

Suggest an answer