Why can't I create a subtask?

Greg Harabedian July 2, 2015

I seem to be unable to create a subtask in a project where I can in other projects.  The documentation states:

To create sub-tasks, you need to have the Create Issue permission in the parent issue's project.

It seems that the default permission scheme is assigned to this project and has the "users" group  assigned to this permission.  I am in the "users" group.  I'm wondering why I can't create a sub-task?

10 answers

2 votes
Kari Ringo August 1, 2019

I am running into the same problem and it isn't effecting everyone.  Just random users....  Has a bug or fix been identified?

Dave Slavens August 1, 2019

We started seeing it too (today).

Like Kari Ringo likes this

I confirmed all of my effected users are listed as developers.  There is nothing that differentiates them from other users who still have the ability. 

Dave Slavens August 1, 2019

I just noticed that some of my user have been switched to the new UI. I'm having them switch back to the old view since the new view doesn't support the Multi-Select Drop Down List.

I advised those effected to do the same.

Like Dave Slavens likes this
Inga August 2, 2019

We had the same issue today, but it was caused by revoking access from the project lead that was a default assignee. I saw a proper error message in the old view, i think the one above is like general error for quite a few reasons. It was neither permissions, neither required fields in my case

Kari Ringo August 5, 2019

This is the new sub-task button.   JIRA will all be going to this as the new view continues to roll out.  It's weird that it doesn't effect all of my users yet. Just a select few.  Most still have the option available under the ellipses.InkedJIRA_LI.jpg

Leonard_Gray May 12, 2020

Getting this when trying to create sub task. Not having issues on any of the other 7 project boards. Just one. And it was working until about a week ago. BA and Scum Master dead in the water on sub task creation. 

sub task won't save error message.pngsub task won't save.png

Like Divya Moryani likes this
bfrost July 29, 2020

Same here - exact same issue and only on some projects

Is this a bug in Jira? Any suggestions/ideas welcome. We are on JIRA Cloud.

I do have permission to create issues in the JIRA Project and I can create issues, just not sub-tasks.

Mahidhar kodam August 3, 2020

Can you try this : Jira Admin access needed 

Go to Field configuration under project settings > Fields > Field configurations

Scroll down to Assigned PO and make it Optional (required should be visible on your jira screen) and then try creating subtasks.

Refer screen shotAssign PO Field configuration.png

bfrost August 3, 2020

I don't have an "Assigned PO" field. Is there another way to get this to work, please? We are stuck not being able to create subtasks. Thanks much!

Deleted user March 6, 2021

I to do not have an "Assigned PO" 

1 vote
Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2020

The problem I had with this got solved by removing the Default Assignee in the project itself, because the employee was already gone and every ticket auto-assigned new issues to them, which is new issues couldn't be created. 

Uday Joshi August 5, 2020

Thanks Kristina. We had the same problem. Jira should have given a proper error message to avoid all this confusion.

Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2020

I know! Thankfully it took me only a few hours to figure it out :)

Like Uday Joshi likes this
1 vote
Leonard_Gray May 12, 2020

One of our Boards just randomly lost ability to add sub-tasks. No permission changes have been made and we have several other projects where this is not occurring.

Get an error ! triangle that says, "check your network connection".

Pretty bad...stuck with adding task breakdown in Description area. Help from JIRA would be great. 

Go to Field configuration under project settings > Fields > Field configurations

Scroll down to Assigned PO and make it Optional (required should be visible on your jira screen) and then try creating subtasks.

Refer screen shot.Assign PO Field configuration.png

0 votes
Yuan Su-Minto March 19, 2021

We were facing the same issue and we don't have the "Assigned PO" too. 

This fix is to set the "Default Assignee" for the project to "unassigned" via project setting -> details, as the original default account seems not available any more.

Hope this helps

0 votes

bfrost August 5, 2020

I do not have an Assigned PO field. I checked all our required fields, and they all make sense and have spot checked several items to make sure all the required fields are indeed filled in.

We have not had a default assignee who has left.

I also checked permissions. I can create any other issue type, just not subtasks.

The subtask type is enabled (I can see the button and click it); it just does not work.

Any other suggestions/ideas would be appreciated!

0 votes
Aleksander Kulesza-Milewski June 8, 2020

my resolution:

check 

permission scheme -> "Create Issues"

and:

Project settings -> People 

You need the same role for user from project as is granted in permission scheme for 'create issues'.

Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2020

I have both of these set up correctly and I'm still getting the error message. 

bfrost August 5, 2020

Me, too! and I do not have an Assigned PO field.

0 votes
Aleksander Kulesza-Milewski June 8, 2020

I had the same problem but solved it. You can find answer above.

The point is to check: permission scheme (create issues) and role in the project for user.

0 votes
HarryH
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2015

Check your permission, I think you need a developer role for this project.

0 votes
Greg Harabedian July 2, 2015

Yes, sub-tasks were enabled for the project and sub-tasks are added to the issue type scheme.

Maro Hamamjyan February 12, 2019

I have the same problem, what was the solution?

Tim Freestone March 9, 2019

Me too. Any solution would be great. Is it a problem with the new Jira version?

Dave F June 2, 2019

Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue? Please share the fix for others.  Thanks

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2015

Sub-tasks can only be created if your JIRA administrator has enabled sub-tasks and added the sub-task issue type to the project's issue type scheme.

Suggest an answer