Why can't I close an issue without leaving a comment?

Morgan Thunder March 15, 2016

We have encountered what appears to be a bug where an issue would not close unless a comment had been left in the comments section. There are not validators on the workflow transition to closed. Why would this be?

3 answers

4 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2016

Hi Morgan,

maybe you have condition in your workflow?

Upload your workflow here I will check it.

1 vote
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2016

For humans, this is a good thing. It means that some colleague doesn't have to contact you three months later to ask why you closed it. For service accounts, it's a bit annoying but not too much. 

My money is on a Behaviour making this required

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2016

When you say "would not close", what is the actual behaviour?  Is it churning when you click the commit?  Returning you to the issue view with nothing changed?  Error message?

Hi Nic - I should have said - no error at all. Just nothing happens when you press the commit button. Then when you go back and add a comment, the button works and the issue closes.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2016

Hmm.  Do you have any custom javascript, or the Behaviours add-on installed (it's part of Script Runner now)?

We do have Script Runner (and Behaviours) installed, yes.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2016

Ok, check the list of Behaviours that may be active - on a very old version (before it merged with SR I think), I remember managing to set up a behaviour that would do exactly what you're seeing - it was requiring a comment during transitions, but not telling the user why it wasn't letting them proceed (because I'd made a mess of the config)

Thanks Nic, I'll check it out.

Suggest an answer