Why can't I close an issue without leaving a comment?

We have encountered what appears to be a bug where an issue would not close unless a comment had been left in the comments section. There are not validators on the workflow transition to closed. Why would this be?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Morgan,

maybe you have condition in your workflow?

Upload your workflow here I will check it.

For humans, this is a good thing. It means that some colleague doesn't have to contact you three months later to ask why you closed it. For service accounts, it's a bit annoying but not too much. 

My money is on a Behaviour making this required

When you say "would not close", what is the actual behaviour?  Is it churning when you click the commit?  Returning you to the issue view with nothing changed?  Error message?

Hi Nic - I should have said - no error at all. Just nothing happens when you press the commit button. Then when you go back and add a comment, the button works and the issue closes.

Hmm.  Do you have any custom javascript, or the Behaviours add-on installed (it's part of Script Runner now)?

We do have Script Runner (and Behaviours) installed, yes.

Ok, check the list of Behaviours that may be active - on a very old version (before it merged with SR I think), I remember managing to set up a behaviour that would do exactly what you're seeing - it was requiring a comment during transitions, but not telling the user why it wasn't letting them proceed (because I'd made a mess of the config)

Thanks Nic, I'll check it out.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

121 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you