Why can an issue be assigned to someone when the issue security level forbids them from seeing it?

Jasen Sparacino December 17, 2014

3 answers

0 votes
Charles Wells December 17, 2014

Jasen, I understand your comment. As Jobin pointed out, two different permission settings govern the ability to view issues or be assigned issues within a project. JIRA constantly checks permissions and the issue level security is doing it's job by preventing visibility. There is no built-in linkage between those two permission configurations. More on Issue Level Security - 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

If you're looking to sync things up, considering leveraging project roles in both your issue security levels and your permission scheme to prevent such disconnects. It may take a bit of planning, but I'm sure you can accomplish your goals. 

Jasen Sparacino December 18, 2014

I swear at one time people that were not in a security level wouldn't be able to be assigned to an issue. This just sounds like a bug. We have pretty extensive security levels where I work and now I could have issue assigned to me and not even know it because the security level isn't set correctly. Doesn't sound like a good thing.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2014

It is just two different permissions, that's all. You have to make sure they can see the issue before assigning it to them or remove those users from the "Assignable Users" permission.

I would think that JIRA would be smart enough to not allow you to assign an issue to some that can't access it.

0 votes

This also stops them from getting email alerts that they have been assigned and issue as well

Suggest an answer