Why can I see hidden projects on my main projects menu

Matt December 5, 2017

Hello,

I have JIRA so that some projects are hidden (once complete), using a permission scheme. However since JIRA updated, these projects are now visible on my main project page. What setting do I need to amend to remove this so I only see active, non hidden projects?

I have tried to removed all permissions on a permission scheme and I can still see them. I am an administrator for the system, but I dont want to have to scroll through all old projects to find the one I am interested in.

Cheers

2 answers

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

Hello @Matt

Currently, there is no way in JIRA to hide or Archive the project 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-2785

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1450

The only way is to remove "read-only/ Browse project" permission from the project and that way the project is hidden from all users except the admins.

If you have admin rights then in the project list you will see all the projects. Tom improve your experience you can map each project to a proper category so that you don't have to scroll across each and every project much like what Atlassian has done on their website.

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa?selectedCategory=all&selectedProjectType=all

(category selection on the left hand side)

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

Thus, you can have a category like "hidden" and other relevant categories.

Like Machiel likes this
Matt December 5, 2017

Thanks Tarun,

Has this changed as until the new interface was imposed on us I could only view 'active' projects?

Luan Nguyen December 19, 2017

This is definitely a new "change" by the new interface that we can't do anything about anymore. I've submitted like 3 feedback on the Project screens.

The problem you described is exactly my problem. I'm surprised why there aren't many more people discussing this! What am I missing!??

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

As an Admin, I understand why I can see the Archived projects when I go to the System Projects screen, but I agree with you guys. I don't think they should show up on the regular Jira Projects list screen. They don't need to be visible in both places, particularly since you can't actually access the project from the regular Jira Projects list. If you click on the project there, it tells you "This Project isn't available", so why show it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

Atlassian have made a mistake with their code.  In older versions of Jira, you only saw projects on that list if you had "browse" rights to them.  Now it seems to list them no matter what rights you have, which is, as you say, pretty much wrong.

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

Thank you for the confirmation. 

As a temporary work around, I have added "xxx" to the names of my archived projects so at least they sort to the end. Hopefully JIRA will get around to cleaning this view up at some point and it will no longer be an issue. 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for sharing this info. Is this observed in both cloud and server? And which server version? Or is it happening only in new cloud experience interface. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

Cloud so far, I think, I've not got a 7.5 or 7.6 on hand to check.

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

I'm seeing it on the Cloud. 

Matt January 31, 2018
I am still seeing it on core @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I had simply rolled back the new version, however it now seems it has been forced upon me. Is there anything I can do except adding ZZZ to the beginning of each project name? Whats the best way to shout at JIRA to make them fix the bug?
RV_B June 5, 2018

horror new ui, i have same issue.

Michael July 3, 2018

Chiming in here, this is still occurring on Cloud. This seems to be a regression from Atlassian's own documentation for how to hide a project: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/archiving-a-project-861253768.html?_ga=2.130723471.1643687562.1528167213-543610497.1512754475

It's worth mentioning: my users cannot see this -- but I can as an administrator.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2018

Hi all,

I can confirm the current behavior is what's documented for Cloud. This info is directly from our Cloud documentation:

As an admin, you will still be able to see hidden projects. People without admin permissions will not be able to see hidden projects.

There is an open feature request to change this behavior. I'd recommend watching and voting for that issue!

Cheers,
Daniel

Like Daniel Fietta likes this
Michael July 4, 2018

Thanks for the followup Daniel, I unfortunately missed that info bubble.

Dylan Harnsberger January 6, 2019

Same problem. Still a problem in 2019. Commenting for visibility.

Like Ade likes this
0 votes
Dylan Harnsberger January 6, 2019

Same problem. Still a problem in 2019. Commenting for visibility.

Suggest an answer