Why can I not update customfield via jira-python library (REST API)?

Didier Riedinger March 11, 2014

Using jira-python library, I want to update a <user picker> customfield.
My client is connected to jira instance as administrator and the instruction below give me

jira_session.fields() {u'name': u'Assign User to "Update/Re-Update" (MT)', u'searchable': True, u'navigable': True, u'custom': True, u'orderable': True, u'id': u'customfield_10617', u'schema': {u'customId': 10617, u'type': u'user', u'custom': u'com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:userpicker'}}...

I enter the instruction below based on the documentation http://jira-python.readthedocs.org/en/latest/#jira.resources.Resource.update

test_issue = jira_session.issue(issue_key) test_issue.update(fields={'customfield_10600': {'name': 'lambda'}})

Traceback (most recent call last):
    test_issue.update(fields={'customfield_10600': {'name': 'lambda'}}) 
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\jira\resources.py", line 302, in update
    super(Issue, self).update(async=async, jira=jira, **data)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\jira\resources.py", line 174, in update
    raise_on_error(r)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\jira\exceptions.py", line 47, in raise_on_error
    raise JIRAError(r.status_code, error, r.url)
jira.exceptions.JIRAError: HTTP 400: "Field 'customfield_10600' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown." http://XXX/rest/api/2/issue/12562

I am able to update fields like <assignee>, <description>,... but why did this not work for the user picker custom field?
Did I made an error in the argument given in the update() method?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2014
The error message is telling you the problem - you haven't got the field on the issue edit screen.

Suggest an answer