Why can I not search for a label with some issuetypes?

Andy Clifton January 3, 2020

I'm having issues with a JQL query to return issues that match a specific label. Here is a simplified query...

labels = JournalsContent

On investigation, it seems to depend on the issuetype. 

I can create a test issue (e.g. "CATS-2270") with one issue type (e.g. "Defect") and the JQL query above will find it, but when I change the issuetype (e.g. to "Improvement" or "Bug") the JQL query will no longer return it in the search result. Nothing else has been changed by me in the test issue, and the labels field appears in the UI before and after changing the issuetype.

The JQL query will find the label for most issuetypes but there are a couple it doesn't seem to work for.

We have quite a few custom issuetypes - so quite possible something was set up differently for those two "rogue" issuetypes - but what / where should I be looking?

I'm searching JIRA Classic projects (don't need to see NextGen) and we are on JIRA Cloud.

(In case relevant - the application is: I want to mark issues in other team's boards with a label, so they show up, and we can monitor them, on our team's board. I normally have no trouble with this, until I encountered this problem with specific issuetype's today).

UPDATE: I'm getting the feeling this might be project specific - ie something about the CATS project - but what? I can create a test issue of "Bug" issuetype with the label "JournalsContent" in another project and find it with the JQL query - but I can't find it when its created in the CATS project.

1 answer

0 votes
Samer Harb January 3, 2020

Hello,

I previously encountered a problem on Jira Server (not Cloud) where the JQL query was not returning the correct values; i.e. I have an issue with label "JournalsContent" but it wasn't showing up in the JQL results.

Issue was solved by performing a Project Re-index:

2020-01-03 17_35_18-Re-index - MxJIRA.png

Hope this helps in your case as well.

Andy Clifton January 3, 2020

Thanks for responding @Samer Harb - I'd be happy to give reindexing a try - unfortunately seems this is not possible in JIRA Cloud: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Unable-to-re-index-in-JIRA-Cloud/qaq-p/788960 

Like Samer Harb likes this

Suggest an answer