Why can I no longer rank or reorder subtasks in an issue using the up/down arrow buttons.

This is in the issue page itself. Not in an Agile board. I also can't use the Rank to Top and Rank to Bottom menu items. I don't get an error message or any indication that it's not working.

3 answers

1 accepted

And now it's working again. I didn't make any changes so why it's fine now is a mystery to me.

0 vote

You need edit permissions on the subtasks and the parent story. Do you have both?

Thanks Jobin, I have Administrator priviledges on our JIRA system. So, I should have the necessary permissions. It must be something else.

Administrator permission doesn't guarantee you Edit rights. Are you seeing the "Edit" option when you are on the issue and in the subtasks? If so, it might be something else.

I do see the Edit button. I made a test edit just to be sure and my changes were accepted. I then tried to re-order sub-tasks but I couldn't do it.

Interestingly, I got an error popup this time while trying to reorder. It says "There was an unexpected error while loading the issue. Contact your JIRA administrators". This is the first time I've seen this message.

Can you check the atlassian-jira.log file to find out what the error is?

It doesn't look like ondemand has a log file. I'll have to call support.

Oh yes. Missed the onDemand tag!

I am afraid you will have to reach out to support to investigate the error.

And now it's working again. I didn't make any changes so why it's fine now is a mystery to me.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,321 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot