Why aren't the Epics showing up in the left panel on my Agile Board?

Karen Stackhouse January 18, 2018

I have one project and I've created several boards to reflect different teams and phases.  The Epics are populated in the left panel on the first board I created, but the Epic panel is blank on subsequent boards.

I've tried creating Epics from a new board, but I get a message saying it's been created but isn't viewable on my current board.  It does show up on the original board.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

@Karen Stackhouse, can you provide us more details, please? Some screen shots and the 2 board filters would be a good start.

Karen Stackhouse February 8, 2018

Filter for board showing Epics:  project = UF ORDER BY Rank ASC

Filter for board not showing Epics:  project = UF AND "Epic Link" in (UF-240, UF-241) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2018

@Karen Stackhouse,you second filter will only show Stories, because the field "Epic Link" is only valid for the issue type Story (if you didn't change this standard).

Copy the first filter to the second board, so that they are equal. then you will see Stories.

Peter Wein March 3, 2023

@Sebastian Kleinholz : My approach was the same like @Karen Stackhouse  and @Stephen Yee, I did not intend to filter out any "Stories". Exactly the opposite is true:

What if I want to filter out all agile tasks and goals which have an empty "Epic Link"??

So actually I see in my back log some issues which do not have an EPIC, and this is not the type of JIRA issues I want to show! Any Ideas how to come around here?

0 votes
Stephen Yee January 30, 2018

@Sebastian Kleinholz

I am having the same issue. I've attached screenshots of two board backlogs located in the same project. They both have multiple projects associated with them (including the project the boards are located within), but one displays epics in the epics tab and the other doesn't. I also have a board located under a different project with one board associated to it, and the epics for that project are showing up. It's just this one board where they aren't showing up.

download-2.pngdownload-4.png

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2018

@Stephen Yee, can you post the board filter of the two boards, please? You can find the when you configure your board at the general tab.

Filter for board showing Epics:  project = UF ORDER BY Rank ASC

Filter for board not showing Epics:  project = UF AND "Epic Link" in (UF-240, UF-241) ORDER BY Rank ASC

The graphic Stephen posted looks the same as my Jira project.

Stephen Yee February 8, 2018

@Sebastian Kleinholz

Clients names/abbreviations blurred for confidentiality:

Board showing epics

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 10.31.11 AM.png

Board not showing epics

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 10.31.00 AM.png

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2018

@Karen Stackhouse, you second filter will only show Stories, because the field "Epic Link" is only valid for the issue type Story (if you didn't change this standard).

Copy the first filter to the second board, so that they are equal. then you will see Stories.

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2018

@Stephen Yee, seems to be the same problem with your filters. With the JQL you excluded Stories.

Best you copy your JQL to the "Search for Issue" field, and check if any issues are returned.

search_for_issues.png

Greg Mester March 1, 2018

In my case my filter included a statement issuetype in (Bugs,Stories) and this caused the Epics to disappear.  My work around was to add epics so now it is issuetype in (Bugs,Stories,Epics)

Like # people like this
Jenn Reed February 1, 2019

Thanks Greg, this fixed the issue for me. All I needed to do was add the issuetype Epic to my filter, and now Epics show up in my backlog. 

Suggest an answer