Why aren't issues with a null value in the db for resolution showing up as Unresolved?

Solitonman May 3, 2012

Hi, I made a change to some field configurations this morning and had to perform a re-index. After I was finished I noticed that I was only seeing 1 issue in my queue as opposed to the 9 I know are assigned to me. Looking into my filter it turned out the problem was related to specifying a resolution condition. Although I can see in the database that all of the issues that are currently open and assigned to me have a Resolution of null, in JIRA only one of those nine issues is being picked up by the filter ("resolution is EMPTY"). This wasn't happening prior to the re-index. I've updated my filters to try to focus on other values (status, for example) to still try to retrieve the same results. But I'd really like to know what's going on here, if anyone has a clue. It's kind of frustrating to see my MySQL query with a WHERE clause of "resolution is null" correctly return what I expect, when the JQL equivalent does not.

I'm guessing there's a join or something I'm missing that looks at something other than the jiraissue table in my JIRA database. If anyone knows anything about this and can provide some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Solitonman May 7, 2012

As it turned out, when making changes to remove the Resolution field from the create issue screen I also hid the resolution field in the configuration for the issues. That resulted in the items failing to show up in the Assigned to Me widget (or get recognized appropriately via JQL). Once I changed the field configuration to unhide the Resolution and re-indexed, the issues started displaying again as expected.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

Something is out of whack. I'd try to reindex again, and see if that fixes it.

If not, check for silly things like the value in the database being the string "null", or an empty string, although that doesn't explain why you get the hits when you run sql.

> 'm trying to grok is where/how something joins on that field and the result is that the display of good issues in the Issue Navigator shows a blank resolution field instead of a value of Unresolved

It joins on the resolution table. Have a look at the values in there and make sure there is nothing strange. Also go to Admin -> Resolutions, and make sure there is not a resolution called "Unresolved" or something weird.

> If anyone can clue me in as to how I've hosed our database and if it's possible to fix, I'd really appreciate it.

There are tools that will fix it, eg this one, but first you need to work out what the problem is.

Solitonman May 7, 2012

As it turned out, when making changes to remove the Resolution field from the create issue screen I mistakenly also hid the resolution field in the configuration for the issues. That resulted in the items failing to show up in the Assigned to Me widget (or get recognized appropriately via JQL). Once I changed the field configuration to unhide the Resolution and re-indexed, the issues started displaying again as expected.

0 votes
Solitonman May 7, 2012

Just wanted to reiterate the problem I'm having. When I go into the Issue Navigator in JIRA and use the query "assignee = currentUser() and resolution is EMPTY" I get back a list of 15 issues. When I use the SQL query of "select * from jiraissue where assignee = XXXXXX and resolution is null;" I get back 25 issues. All of the 25 issues have a resolution of NULL in the database (as would be expected from that WHERE clause). So what I'm trying to grok is where/how something joins on that field and the result is that the display of good issues in the Issue Navigator shows a blank resolution field instead of a value of Unresolved.

If anyone can clue me in as to how I've hosed our database and if it's possible to fix, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Suggest an answer