Why are there extra statuses in my workflow?

Michael Clinton March 15, 2016

For some reason, when my users drag subtasks over on the active sprint board, they are shown additional status options. Here's a view of one issue with it's three subtasks on the board:

board view.png

We should be going from To Do >>> In Progress via the Start Development transition. Here's the workflow:

Workflow.png

But for some reason, there is an option to select Start Development or In Progress when moving it over (the blue options with dotted lines). I can't take a screenshot of that screen, as it requires me to click while dragging. But here's a view of those statuses from the issue edit screen:

Statuses.png

What is causing this, and how can I fix it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Barrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2016

Those additional statuses are appearing because you have the "Allow all statuses to transition to this one" box checked i.e. they are global transitions.

Assuming all of your development work has to go through QA then you could remove the global transition on "Released" and add a normal transition e.g. "Release" that goes from "Ready to release" to "Released".

etc. etc.

Once you've removed all global transitions on statuses that map to the "In progress" column on your board, then you won't see multiple options when dragging your issue across from "To Do".

Michael Clinton March 16, 2016

Perfect answer. Thanks Robert!

Robert Barrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2016

You're welcome Michael.

Suggest an answer