Why are not projects imported on a successful import?

thahn December 1, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Migrating from JIRA Server to JIRA Cloud

I am trying to migrate from an existing JIRA server instance full of projects to a cloud instance.  I have been able to successfully export the JIRA server instance and import it onto the cloud.  The problem I am having is none of the projects are showing up.  

For the initial tries I attempted a straight export and import, this failed with invalid characters in the CDATA of the xml.  

To successfully import the file to the cloud I used the Atlassian tool to remove the invalid characters. Unzipped the file, ran the tool, added the data folder for attachments and avatars the zipped it back up, and imported. This worked but the projects never appeared.  Is this normal? Is there something I am missing?

I have successfully updated from v6.4 (server) to v7.2 (server) and restored on v7.2(server) everything worked out fine but moving from the server (v7.2) to the cloud is not working out.  

2 answers

1 vote
Davide Zerrilli January 26, 2017

I have the same problem, did someone solve it?

thahn January 26, 2017

The problem for me was when I was rebuilding the zip file.  I basically built an invalid zip file that had an additional file layer. The file tree for me was backup.zip->backup->data, when it should have been just backup.zip->data

Johan Söderström April 19, 2017

thahn

That did the job, thanks. I ziped the folder containing the files instead of just zip the files directly. 

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2016

A couple questions:

1. Assuming you're running JIRA Agile, did you update it to 6.7 before trying the import?
  2. Did you verify that your user (possibly via groups) has been granted access to the relevant Application (JIRA Software, JSD, JIRA Core?)

Suggest an answer