Why are my projects not showing after successful import from JIRA Server 7.3.1?

Alexander Ackerman February 20, 2017

JIRA Server Version: 7.3.1

I created a backup of my JIRA Server using the JIRA Backup tool.  I expanded the archive and copied the data and logos directories over from my JIRA_HOME folder.  I recreated the archive so it matched the following structure:

jira-7.3.1-backup/
jira-7.3.1-backup/activeobjects.xml
jira-7.3.1-backup/entities.xml
jira-7.3.1-backup/data
jira-7.3.1-backup/data/attachments
jira-7.3.1-backup/data/avatars
jira-7.3.1-backup/logos

I ran through the JIRA Import tool and followed all of the prompts.  The main user is in the jira-administrators and administrators group.  I performed a re-index and the list of projects does not include any of the projects from my old JIRA Server.

Read through the hints and tips and haven't found anything to work.  Thoughts?

Ack 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexander Ackerman February 21, 2017

Ok, finally figured this out...

I setup a new JIRA Server on my laptop as a temp instance and went through an import procedure of my prior backup.  Discovered it couldn't find the entities.xml file because of the directory structure listed above.  When I created the backup using the following structure it restored the backup with no problems:

archive.zip
- entities.xml
- activeobjects.xml
- data/
- data/attachments
- data/avatars
- logos

So I re-ran the atlassian-xml-cleaner-0.1.jar file on my entities.xml file (I'm coming from a MySQL server) and recreated the archive as listed above.  Low and behold, it worked!  This was a new error though:

JIRA Import-Crowd Server Error.png

I had to edit the entities.xml file to find the following entry:

<Directory id="10000" directoryName="Crowd Server" lowerDirectoryName="crowd server" createdDate="2016-05-14 21:35:07.0" updatedDate="2017-02-21 18:25:36.0" active="1" implementationClass="com.atlassian.crowd.directory.RemoteCrowdDirectory" lowerImplementationClass="com.atlassian.crowd.directory.remotecrowddirectory" type="CROWD" position="0"/>

and change the "active" attribute to 0.  I have been using a local Crowd Server on my network to manage users across JIRA and Bitbucket. 

There were a few more errors I had to edit and clean up with duplicate email addresses for users (who had multiple entries for some reason).  I just defaulted to adding extra characters at the end of the email to get it to pass initial validation.  I was able to remove those users (who no longer required access) from the Cloud instance after the import succeeded.

Long winded explanation on what I did, but I hope it helps someone.  I spent WAY to long fighting this.  The bottom line is that when you create your Zip archive, don't put the entities.xml and activeobjects.xml file in a subdirectory (and zip that). Go into the working directory with those files and create the archive there.  

Onward to testing the Cloud instance now...

Ack

Mike Solomon April 26, 2017

Alexander, I owe you a beer.

The way my backup was zipped was my issue as well. For those who are in the same boat: don't throw your files into a folder and zip the folder. Instead, select the files you need to zip, right click them, and zip them.

Do this: https://cl.ly/0b2i430Q1n2c

Do not do this: https://cl.ly/2B122j260f2T

Andrew Kouri May 23, 2017

Wow, had been pulling my hair out until I saw these vids. Thanks!

Vineeta Agarwal June 19, 2017

Thankyou Alex and Mike for this explanation! The videos help immensely. Surely, could do with a little clarity by JIRA folks in their import  documentation.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2017

Check the admin project view - are they listed in there?  My thought is that maybe the projects don't have "browse" for your account.

Alexander Ackerman February 20, 2017

The projects were imported using the "admin" account and it is unable to see the projects.  How would I check to see if they have the "browse" ability.  The jira-software-users group has the ability to login and browse the application.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2017

Admin rights allow you admin.  Not project rights.  Jira-software-users might well be able to log in, and see some stuff, but you don't know if they have the rights to see your new projects.

You need to go to the admin project view and see if your new projects are listed there. 

If they are, go into them to see the config and check the permission scheme.

Alexander Ackerman February 21, 2017

Sorry, i had to wait another day before I could respond.  No, none of the projects imported are showing on the Admin Projects page:

Admin Project View.png

This is what I get when I'm done with the import:

Import Wizard 2.png

I created a sample project and then conducted a backup/restore to/from the Cloud instance.  Everything worked great.  The only difference in experience is that it asked me to verify permissions on the Application Access page.  When I'm restoring from my Server instance, it never asks me.  The permissions shown are the ones previously in the Cloud instance.

Other ideas?

Alex

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2017

Ok, your first screenshot tells me there are no projects in your system, so the import can't have imported anything.  (Successful means it ran with no errors, not necessarily that it imported anything)

Suggest an answer