Why are my context fields not appearing in the order set in the screen configuration?

Marc Pincince October 29, 2020

I arranged my fields in a specific order by using Configure Screen for the particular screen, but that order is then ignored. Why?

1 answer

0 votes
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2020

Hi Marc,

There are a number of fields in Jira that will always display in a specific place or in a specific order. There are some field, at least for Server, that will appear while viewing the issues even if those fields are removed from the View screen(s). It's just how it do. Cheers!

Marc Pincince November 2, 2020

Thanks @Joshua Sneed Contegix but I think there is something more to this.

I'm using Jira Software Cloud. The fields do appear in the correct order for me in the original project, and then again in a new project when I create that new project by using the original project as a "template" (by selecting the original project after checking the box for "Share settings with an existing project" while creating a new Classic project). But in my co-worker's project, his context fields all appear in a different order. 

Here's an example of the difference in order. These are screen clips of the beginning of the Context fields from my an my coworker's context fields. Mine is to the left, and my coworker's is to the right. You'll see mine has Team, Team Lead, and Team Members together toward the top of the list, whereas his does not. His would require scrolling further down the list to view the Team Lead and Team Members, which are not visible here. 

image.pngimage.png

Marc Pincince November 2, 2020

@Joshua Sneed Contegix. Here's a thought... Could this be happening because we originally moved my coworker's project from Core to Software? We didn't create his project from a "template" like I did for mine--his project already existed. Could his context fields order somehow be governed by residual from when it was in Core, even though all of its current screens are completely new? The screens we are using for his project, now that it is in Software, are new and have all been set up specifically for use in Software. I set up all of the Issues and applicable Schemes to use the new screens.

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2020

Hi Marc,

Those are interesting theories and it would be nice to identify an exact cause, but we are talking about Jira Cloud and may never find out. It could be anything from a minor bug in Cloud to a major difference in how Cloud handles sharing of project configuration. This difference may be resolved by an update, who know. Feel free to investigate and let us know if you can replicate this scenario at will. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events