Why are my Epics missing from the side panel on my scrum board?

Tomas Young December 12, 2019

My scrum board uses this filter:

project in (A,B,C,D,) AND NOT (type = Epic AND status in (Closed)) AND "Epic Link" not in (A-1, B-1,C-1) ORDER BY Rank ASC   With this filter the Epic side panel is empty.  I have about 20 other epics that should appear.

2019-12-12_11h40_18.png

If I remove AND "Epic Link" not in (A-1, B-1,C-1) from the filter, then the epics appear. 

How do I make all the other epics appear while still removing the ones i don't want

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

Hi @Tomas Young , welcome to the Community. This is sort of an odd filter TBH. I expect it makes sense to you but I am scratching my head a bit. Can you express your filter goals so we might express it differently and lead to success?

I want all stories from Projects A, B, C and D.  Except the stories that belong to closed epics and stories that belong to epics A-1, B-1 and C-1.  These last three epics are kinda place holders and will never be closed

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

Hi @Tomas Young ,

Thanks for the explanation. 

To get the epics, it might work if you change 

AND "Epic Link" not in (A-1, B-1,C-1) 

To

AND ("Epic Link" not in (A-1, B-1,C-1)  or "Epic Link" is empty)

In your epics, there will be no Epic Link set and Jira selects empty fields neither if you select with in nor with not in, so you always have to select empty fields extra.

But I think this is not the solution at all, because your middle part excludes only closed epics and not all stories that are linked to them.

But I don't know a query in jira standard to achieve this.

I think, for example script runner has a jail function that will allow you to also exclude the linked stories.

Thank you.  That seems to do the same.  My epics are not appearing in the epic panel on the left side.  The open epics should appear on that panel shown on the image i attached.

Suggest an answer