Why are approvals in a workflow only available on Jira Service Desk Cloud?

Carl Sallese April 19, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring JIRA Service Desk approvals

While trying to setup an approval workflow in JIRA Service Desk, I noticed there was no option to add an approval.  Doing some research, I found that Service Desk does offer this option.  However, it only seems to be available in Cloud and not Server deployment.  Why is this? 

1 answer

1 vote
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2016

Approvals have only been added to JIRA Service Desk Cloud very recently (April 10 as per What's New; see also the related blog post Three ways to use JIRA Service Desk’s new approvals like a pro).

Atlassian tends to release new features in the Cloud versions of their applications first, because it is easier to iterate on them there. Once a feature is deemed mature/stable enough it will also be published in (one of) the next minor release(s) of the Server edition a few weeks/months later. I would expect approvals to be part of JIRA Service Desk Server 3.2 accordingly (refer to JIRA Service Desk release notes for an educated guess when that might be).

Carl Sallese April 20, 2016

Thank you for clarifying.  I am new to Jira, so this will be good to know in the future. 

Suggest an answer