Why are Story Points not part of Burndown Charts anymore?

Jean-René Lavoie April 19, 2019

Hi all,

I'm using Jira Cloud and I figured out that reports such as Burndown, Burnup, etc shows that the Story Points of the Jira are 0 everywhere. I've added the field "Story Points" to all Screens and me meticulously evaluated all tasks for the past 4 months.

I realized that there is a new field called "Story Points Estimate" (that is currently not part of my Screens, but the "Story Points" is, without showing up).

Is this another "Next-Gen" change that didn't get finished?

I've been using Burndown charts for years and now they are flat 0s

Is this a known bug?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2019

Hello Jean,

I hope you are having a nice day.

Indeed, we noticed that some people are getting confused about both Story Points and Story Points Estimate fields, which is completely understandable since it is a new feature on Cloud.

Please, allow me to clarify this:

Today, your project templates are split into two types on JIRA Cloud: Classic and Next-gen projects.

Both project types use their own issue types and have different time tracking methods, which uses two different fields:

- On Classic projects, the estimation is measured on the Story Points field

- On Next-gen projects, the estimation is measured on the Story Point Estimate field

That been said, the time tracking measure will only work for your reports if you use the correct field to do it, depending on your project type.

Additionally, I recently found out a bug that makes the field Story Points displays as Story Point Estimate in the New issue view although it's still displayed as Story Points when you go to Project settings > Screens, which causes even more confusion.

With this information in mind, please make sure you have added the correct field for your project screens, removing the other one to avoid more confusion.

Let us know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer