Why am only I receiving duplicate email notifications?

Adam White December 8, 2013

So I've got a stumper here for you guys.

I cannot for the life of my figure out why I am getting double notifications for everything in our JIRA instance. It is only me, nobody else. I am also the admin. I have another admin account, but I changed the email on it.

To make things even weirder, I also get double notifications on any Atlassian-based JIRA tickets... a totally different system. This makes me think maybe it is something on the Exchange server itself?

Have any of you ever heard of this before? The logs don't give any errors, so it isnt a timeout issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2013

Start with a simple test - use Jira's "test email" to send a single email to yourself. That definitely only sends once, to a single account, so if it's duplicated, then it confirms your suspicion that it's your mail server or client, and not Jira

I'd check your email rules in the client as well - I've seen something very similar when someone set up a rule saying "copy all emails with Jira in them to another folder". They meant "move". Check for "and stop processing any more rules" as well - that one gets me all the time.

Adam White December 9, 2013

Turns out there was a auto-forward rule on the server end... apparently we are migrating to Office 365 and only some people had the rule. Thanks!

0 votes
Adam White December 8, 2013

Also, I have disabled outgoing mail for my test instance.

Suggest an answer