Why am I unable to add the Assignee field when creating an Issue?

Ben Reese October 17, 2012

Whenever I create a new issue, the "Assignee" field is missing. I looked into the Configure Fields drop down and Assignee was not one of the options there. I then went to JIRA Admin, then to Screens so I could edit the Default Screen Scheme. Once there, I saw Assignee as one of the options. I even deleted the majority of the other options just in case Assignee was somehow being excluded. However, this solved nothing and merely decreased the number of options for creating an issue.

I have put multiple people onto this project, so I know it's not an issue of no one being available to be added.

I will soon have a lot of projects with a lot of people, and going into each Issue manually to change who its assigned to is unreasonable.

Thanks for your help

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2012

It sounds like you do not have the "assign issue" permission in your project(s).

Much appreciated. I figured that administrators would have the ability to do things like that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2012

Ah, no, it has to be granted. The point of a system admin is to administrate the system. The rights to do things in projects are (rightly) separate from that. I know it's counter-intuitive at first, but it's actually a terrible model of permissions to allow admins to do everything just because they're admins (although, it's fine for an admin to set it up that way, as long as they choose to do it)

Anyway, you'll find this applies to other things as well - be assigned, change reporter, set resolutions and versions. Basically, always start with a look at the permission scheme when you can't do something!

Ah I see. I think the confusion came because "administrator" was set up separate from "system administrator". Our version of admin is basically just a manager, and the situation we have is such that we want to be the main ones using the system for various reasons.

Thanks for the tip about checking permissions. Because our way of doing things is so peculiar, I just spent 20 minutes redoing all of them!

Suggest an answer