Why am I not a "participant" if I executed one of the transitions?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2013

I have a search I execute every day to show me the Issues I participated in during the past 24 hours. I use the "Participants = currentUser()" as part of the query.

Today I noticed that one of the Issues I know I worked on did not appear on the list. In that Issue I edited a long text field and I transitioned the Issue to a new status.

But I am not shown as a "participant" in the issue.

The issue is "HF-2840" in my database. This query gives zero results:

key = HF-2840 AND Participants = currentUser()

And neither does this:

key = HF-2840 AND Participants = georgec

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2013

That works --- when I use OR, of couse.

Thanks!!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2013

OR it is ;)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2013

Pariticpants only tracks assignees, reporters and people who have commented on the issue. It doesn't track other edits, transitions etc.

You can easily capture workflow changes by improving the query.

Participants = currentUser() and status changed by currentUser()

But issue edits will be a problem. You will have to add a comment while editing if you need it on the participants field!

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2013

John nailed it:

Participants = currentUser() OR status changed by currentUser()

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2013

For future purpose --> You can make Important transitions to have a comment screen witth validation, so you have to enter a comment and thus become the participant.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2013

Thanks.

But the comment requirement is a real pain and badly detracts from the ease of use. I only require a comment when I really need one, for example, when something is failed or reopened.

However, Jobin's extension of my query will cover 99.9% of the Issues I was missing before.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2013

Hey George,

Tak a look at this. Is this what you are facing?

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JTOOL-169

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2013

The participants field is coded to say "reporter, assignee and anyone who has commented on the issue". It doesn't scan for "used a transition" or "Edit".

I've used the participants field code as a base for other similar fields a few times now (e.g. reporter, commenters and person who changed priority), but I'm afraid the off-the-shelf one doesn't have any configuration to allow the question to be changed.

Suggest an answer