Why am I getting an Internal Server Error when trying to create a Support Request for JIRA with Atlassian?

Mustafa Shah September 6, 2012

I am getting an Internal Server Error when I am trying to create a support request with Atlassian Support from within JIRA? What is causing this? My JIRA instance seems to be working just fine and I am not encountering any other issues with JIRA at the moment. I am including a screenshot. Please advise.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2012

Don't know. What does your log file say?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2012

Well, the answer is technically "go to where ever you keep the log file and open it with a text editor of your choice", but a better one (to save asking if you've done default installations, what you've set up and so on) is

1. Go to Jira -> Administration -> System information

2. Look through that page for the log file section, it will tell you exactly where it is on the server

3. Go on to the server and open that log file

There could be quite a lot of it, so you probably want to search for a time-stamp around the time you generated this error.

Like Isamar Hernández likes this

Hi Nic, where and how do I check my log file for errors?

Thank you Nick, I will check my log file for any errors on the server.

Hi Nic, it mentioned something about a Crowd.properties file on the server. The log file said:

2012-09-07 /plugins/servlet/stp/view/create-support-request/execute [support.tools.salext.DefaultApplicationFileBundle] The file E:\Apps\JIRA\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\crowd.properties could not be found or is not readable, and was skipped.
2012-09-07 08:45:30/plugins/servlet/stp/view/create-support-request/execute [support.tools.salext.WildcardApplicationFileBundle] The file E:\Apps\JIRA\logs\host-manager.2012-07-18.log does not contain any data, and was skipped.

I was not able to locate the Crowd.properties file in the directory specified. Do you think it might be a hiddent file or something that is created when we login to JIRA as an administrator.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2012

You should be able to ignore those if you aren't using Crowd for authentication. The "support request" code is looking for the files in case you have got Crowd, but as you haven't, the log is simply reporting "not there".

I'd look for other errors in the log, I don't think this one is an issue.

1 vote
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2013

This error might have happened due to a bug on Support Tools plugin which affects versions 2.10, 3.0 and 3.0.8 (STP-138)

The document below describes the issue in more detail:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Unable+to+send+email+after+using+Support+Tools

0 votes
Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

Let's try a silly question: are you using Crowd for authentication? Or do you use Jira for user management?

You should have several Jira logs available to you. Check the /logs directory in your Jira install directory. The catalina.out file will be the real money. Warning: the file may be large, especially if you haven't restarted Jira in a while. There are also several logfiles in $JIRA_HOME/log (Windows: %JIRA_HOME%\log).

Thank you Nick, I will keep searching for more errors. It cleared up on its own all of a suddent and I was able to send the support request to Atlassian. I dont think we use Crowd for authentication but JIRA Delegated Authentication for User Management. Thank you once again for your help and guidance.

Suggest an answer