Why Jira does not add left-over tickets from a past sprint on closing on top of the next sprint?

Christian Jost February 19, 2019

Hello,

currently I am fighting with a very annoying behavior.

Once I close a Sprint Jira lets me decide in which Sprint I want to move left-over tickets of the current sprint which is about to close. When I selected one and submitted my selection, Jira moves all left-over tickets to the next Sprint (as expected) but completely messes the order of tickets in the targeted Sprint.

Here I would expect, that all moved tickets are on top or Jira would at least let me decide whether they should be on top or on the bottom of the targeted Sprint.

Is there a way to configure that?

Cheers,

Christian

2 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2019

Hello Christian,

Have you enabled the Rank field on your issues?

The issues remaining of your closed sprint should be properly added to the top of the next Sprint once they are ranked higher on the board position. Please, check the documentation below to know how you can enable raking for your board:

Enabling Rank

Let me know if it works for you.

Christian Jost February 21, 2019

Hi Petterson,

thank you for your response. I'll figure this out, but the documentation says that jira automatically adds a rank field. 

And our board settings of the backlog already says `ORDER BY rank ASC`. So this would not explain why the tickets of the previous sprint are completely mixed up with the following sprint on sprint completion. Because I would expect them to be either higher rank or lower, but not mixed.

But I'll investigate into this direction and I report back once I have more information.

Cheers,

Christian

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2019

Hello Christian,

Have you enabled the Rank field on your issues?

The issues remaining of your closed sprint should be properly added to the top of the next Sprint once they are ranked higher on the board position. Please, check the documentation below to know how you can enable raking for your board:

Enabling Rank

Let me know if it works for you.

Suggest an answer